Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Three days off last weekend. It flew by!

I am so pleased, after a lot of hard work and paper work, Environmental Health signed off us making Jams and chutneys in our local village hall to help raise funds for East Essex Smallholders Group.

We went to a friends wedding on Friday, it was lovely with a vintage tea party. My bunting had an outing!

I finished preparing the field for the cows on Saturday and we moved them on Sunday they seem to like it up there. They have a very big field for two cows!

We split the pigs up on Sunday. The large blacks went into the barn, as they were off to the abattoir on Tuesday. The Oxford Sandy and Blacks moved into a new part of the wood, I had sprinkled some brasica seed in the spring so they have a lovely carpet of greens to munch through.

We also moved the turkeys into a new barn.

We had a lovely home grown chicken on Sunday, my god they taste so good. Note to self: I must raise more next year!

Our friend Nigel is away on Holiday so i have been left the task of checking his sheep. My god sheep and electric fence. Sunday - three out, Monday two out, Tuesday - Four out! I had to heard them across the field with the car! I can feel come serious cider drinking by the end of the week when i hand them back! The pigs then felt the need to challenge me with electric they escaped last night and have managed to dig up some of the new tree's at the bottom of the wood. All in all a stressful week so far! Maybe a little sloe gin might help!

The four pigs went off well, they are being delivered to Buntings the Butchers in Maldon today, to be butchered ready for peoples freezers.

The garden looks good, lots of Dahilas giving us plenty of colour. I am disappointed by the vegetable garden. Despite netting all our brasicas, I uncovered them to harvest a cabbage and the whole lot are crawling with caterpillars. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

The pear trees are loaded with fruit so i'm sure we will be making lots of perry!










No comments:

Post a Comment