Saturday, April 18, 2015

Well today is officially my due date, but so far our baby isn’t ready to come into the world! With the help of Nigel we have been and collected our first two pigs of the year. Oxford Sandy and Black cross Pietrain. Something a bit different but nice and local in South Woodham Ferrers. Nigel has given me a good fast bumpy ride in his landrover which he hopes will help me along my way. I’m not sure on that one, I think the baby will arrive when its ready!


Everything is ticking along nicely on the smallholding, although I have lots of weeds in the garden, I am thinking of offering to cross one of the young lads in the village, palms with silver to get him to come and bend down and pull some weeds out for me.

The main flower bed in the garden has tulips, daffodils and forget-me-nots all in bloom as well as a couple of other things that I’m not sure what they are, but they are very pretty! You can tell I am a flower gardener!!!!

There is plenty going on in the poly tunnel, with peas, beans, kale, chard, carrots, beetroot and so much more sticking their heads through.



I had nurtured some leeks over the winter which I have now hardened off and hope will give us some early leeks, we really enjoyed them last year. The ones that have over wintered in the garden are doing incredibly well they are nice and chunky and fingers crossed in a month or two will give us a nice Sunday dinner.


Maurice, Dad and I planted half the potatoes last week, its still a little wet so we didn’t manage to get all of them in, but it’s a start.



The entry forms for Dad and Maurice to enter the Great Dorset Steam Fair have arrived. So I have been snapping pics and arranging their insurance this week. They are very excited. They are going to take the Howard Gem, Trusty Tractor and Diesel Rotevator. Well that’s if all three are still running!

I have tried to cut back on work a bit this week and put my feet up. I’ve had a few terrible nights sleep due to my new found need to snore. Poor Gareth, payback for all the years he kept me awake! I do hope it subsides once the baby is here, otherwise I might keep the baby awake!

I have managed to sort out wormers for the horses and chickens and they have arrived in the post today.

The field that we rent is due to have the hedge trimmed this week, once complete we can access the damage to the fence and hopefully get the animals out as the grass is growing nicely.

Well I feel its time for a little snooze, I hope the next post I write will be introducing you to the new addition to the family!


Happy spring everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment