Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Perfect timing to write a blog post! This morning I am having a glucose tolerance blood test. So I've fasted since last night, they  have no took my blood which is hard work it doesn't like coming out! I have had a sugary drink and now have to wait two hours, before they take my blood again. I have been given the lovely maternity day room to sit in, a lovely comfy sofa I do hope I don't fall asleep! 

Well it has been another eventful week at Furzedown, pigs departed on Tuesday morning and arrived home on Wednesday. Dad, Gareth and I had had our bet as to what the weight would be. Goodness me we were all so wrong! The max size we agreed on was 85kg. However one was 115kg and the other 113kg as much as this ment they were fattier, we still had a good eye of meat.

Unlike weeks when we make sausages, we didn't start butchering until Friday which was nice. Dad and I tinkered around on Saturday and how lovely it now is to have the sink and water supply and to be able to work out the front still in a chilled environment but no fan motor blowing at you. 

On Sunday morning the expert arrived Eddie the Master butcher. He is so so clever, it's amazing what he can do with meat. Dad and Gareth had a wonderful morning with him, we had smaller boned out joints, steaks and so many different cuts. I think he is going to come back next time we do pigs  to show him more. Mum rendered all the fat down, so we now have jars of it for using for roast potatoes as well as lard for making the pastry for pork pies. They also made a lovely batch of pork pies Sunday afternoon. They both love making them. 

The Inlaws came over on Sunday afternoon to help look at the renovation works, for Gareth and I to swap rooms with Dad to make us a little more contained for when the baby is born. Terry is going to tile the bathroom so it's fully useable it's never been done! He is going to lay some nice flooring in the airing cupboard and bathroom and we are going to get bathroom and bedroom painted. Quite a big job and we must crack on otherwise the baby is going to be here! 

Our little one did some moving around Sunday afternoon, I'm not sure if laid on a nerve or something but goodness me did my back hurt. I had no sleep Sunday night, every way I laid it hurt, I walked up and down sat on the sofa but no I was so sore. Needless to say I didn't go to work on Monday, it finally eased mid morning and the beauty of modern technology allowed me to work from home.

Well this lovely sofa and warm hospital is wanting me to shut my eyes!


  1. I love your descriptions of the farm tasks. There's something wonderful about the idea of jars of rendered lard waiting to be used. Hope these last few weeks of pregnancy go easily for you and that you manage to get enough sleep.

  2. Thank you Robin, i to love reading your blog. I love tonights yarm. Although so far away our lives are so similar! I feel a sense of achievment using as much of a pig as possible. Happy blogging !