Sunday, April 6, 2014

Life is passing by so quickly at the moment I wish I could slow it down!

Yet another great week at Furzedown, however Travis Perkins seem to forget I have a busy life outside of work. We had to complete our bi annual stocktake. So late night Friday and Saturday. However I did manage to get home in time to watch lambing live. That is such a wonderful programme. I hope it returns next year. It has made us so excited about lambing starting here. 

I arrived home on Saturday at three o clock, I quickly changed and our friend Phil arrived. He was coming with me to collect our first meat birds of the year. A fellow smallholder in the next village had ordered 200 birds. They were now five weeks old and weaned off of the heat lamb. 

I love trips to other small holdings you get ideas of things to do. The Khans also have a very large herd of goats,  we were lucky to see some kids that were two days old. They were so cute, I can't wait for Esme to kid.

The potato patch is well under way with 8 rows now, Maurice's rotator, I forget which one it is he has so many! Digs a lovely furrow, I space the seed potatoes and Maurice banks them up. I am slightly worried about space, we have planted seven bags with another eleven left! We need more land. I have also tried to utilise the space around the edge by planting onions. This is our big experiment this year, it might not work because of the shading from the trees, but it's the only large area available. So watch this space!

The vegetable garden is coming along well, Mum has been busy planting seeds and I need to start planting things out.

The best news of the week was our first lambs being born, Annie our first home bred oxford down, gave birth to a lovely set of twins. Although very small, they are doing really well. A boy and a girl, we hope the female called Katie will go on to join our breeding flock (named after mums friend Louise's little girls who birthday was the day they were born)



The cow cam has now turned into the lamb cam, however Mums tv isn't as big as ours!

We enjoyed a lovely Sunday dinner, home grown lamb, with curly kale and celeriac out of the garden! 

I hope you all have a good week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment