Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Well I officially don't like going back to work. The 5.30 alarm call was not welcome last week.

Poor old Gareth didn't get a lay in this weekend. He was in charge of cutting down a historical Holme oak tree in Maldon High Street. The tree has been monitored for years and was diseased so a decision was made by the local authority for it to be cut down. 

Gareth and his team arrived Saturday morning and worked very late into the evening Saturday and Sunday, until she was laid rest on the lorry at about 4pm on Monday. The whole community were watching and taking pictures of this historic tree. As much as it was a huge shame it would have caused utter devastation if it had fallen down and could have killed people. 

The remaining trunk will be used to make benches for use around Maldon so the tree will live on! 

I collected another array of game on Wednesday night including a canada goose after lots of ready on the internet we decided to breast a leg it. So we have popped it in the freezer to cook at a later date. 

I have been knitting for just over a year now and am very close to having made my first cardigan. I have done the back and the two front parts. So sleeves and a border on the front parts and I will have my very first cardi!!

I helped plant two trees at one of our local community orchards on Sunday with fellow member Martyn. It was great to see the community all working together to plant twelve trees and an edible hedge. I can't wait to see the community gathering harvest in years to come. 

All the animals are well, a little muddy but enjoying the bit of Sun over the last week.

The turkeys had to have their wings clipped as they kept escaping. I'm pleased to say they are staying in their run now.

The hard time of year is approaching we  have 7 lambs due to go and a dexter steer. It's never nice planning the day but when we are sitting down to dinner we can honestly say we no they have had a great life and not wanted for anything. 

Edith and Myrtle have been up to mischief, a whole wheelbarrow of muck was tipped across the yard because Myrtle wanted to stand on it. Such wonderful little girls. 

Maurice has brought yet another rotevator, I not sure of the purpose of yet another non runner but he assures me it has a use one day the parts from one will fix the other! He has also been busy moving the muck heap around with the digger, we have a fantastic amount of very well rotted muck if anyone would like some. 

Mum is planning on using some of our banana glut to make banana and passion fruit jam this week.

I hope you all have a good week and I plan to check in again with an update at the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment